Describe a time you were sleepy but had to stay awake – một chủ đề khá mới mẻ trong IELTS Speaking đúng không nào? Với mong muốn giúp các thí sinh tự tin trả lời các câu hỏi giám khảo đưa ra và chiếm trọn band điểm cao, dưới đây là ý tưởng, bài mẫu IELTS Describe a time you were sleepy but had to stay awake và giải nghĩa chi tiết từ vựng band cao từ các thầy cô của IPP.
Part 2: Describe a time you were sleepy but had to stay awake.
You should say:
– When it happened
– Why you were sleepy
– Why you had to stay awake
– And explain how you stayed awake.
Bài mẫu Part 2: Describe a time you were sleepy but had to stay awake
To a student, exams are probably big days, and he/she is supposed to stay in the best condition on those days. But in reality, this may not always be the case. It happened to me once when I almost fell asleep during my final exam of Vietnamese Culture, a subject in my college, in my first year of college. Luckily, I managed to stay awake and finish it.
This came from the lack of sleep I had the night before the exam. I had been so nervous that I hardly got any sleep. I had spent the whole day making some final preparations for the test, and went to bed early so that I’d have enough energy the next day. But when I got to bed, I didn’t feel sleepy at all. Instead, my mind kept running through pessimistic scenarios where I might mess up my exam and fail it. I was afraid that I would forget what I had learned and prepared and couldn’t finish the test. Eventually, I drifted into sleep unknowingly but only managed to sleep for three or four hours.
Without saying, I woke up the next morning and got to the exam room feeling fatigued for sleep deprivation. Fortunately, the questions were relatively easy and of what I had learned; thus, I did them fairly well. However, I had quite a struggling time trying to fight my sleepiness for the good two hours of the exam. I had to ask permission to go out a few times to get some fresh air and also went to the rest-room to wash my face so that I could be more awake.
After this event, I learned to be more relaxed in the time of examination. I realised that no matter how well you prepare for the exams, failure is still feasible without the right state of mind.
Từ vựng band cao từ bài mẫu Part 2: Describe a time you were sleepy but had to stay awake
– to stay awake (vp): tỉnh táo
– the lack of sleep (np): thiếu ngủ
– preparation for the test (np): chuẩn bị cho bài thi
– have enough energy (np): không còn đủ năng lượng
– drift into sleep (vp): chìm vào giấc ngủ
– fatigued (adj): mệt mỏi
– sleep deprivation (np): thiếu ngủ
– to fight sth (v): chiến đấu vì cái gì
Bài mẫu Part 3 chủ đề Staying awake
1. When do people need to stay awake when they feel tired?
It’s probably when they are attending some significant events, such as an exam. Also, they may need to be alert too in the time of exam preparation. Some other occasions that people need to be awake can be when they have to take care of a sick family member, carry out a duty, or go travelling.
2. How do people stay awake when they are tired?
There are indeed many ways to help people stay awake if they are of low energy. One of the most common ways is to drink coffee or reach out for drinks that contain caffeine, such as energy drinks. However, this is not the ultimate solution as caffeine may have some adverse effects in the long run.
Some other alternatives can be setting a good sleeping routine and getting enough sleep the night before. It is recommended that an adult should take approximately 7-9 hours of sleep at night, and the ideal time to go to bed is before 11 pm. By this, they are likely to stay conscious the next day.
Another option is to take frequent breaks if you are working or studying because remaining too long at one position and prolonged attention may wear you out and reduce productivity. Short and frequent interruptions, in contrast, can actually make you more productive as it is a way to circulate your span of concentration and sustain it.
– alert (adj): tỉnh táo
– reach out for sth (np): tìm đến cái gì đó
– energy drinks (np): đồ uống tăng lực
– adverse effects (np): những ảnh hưởng xấu
– Alternative (n): lựa chọn
– to set a good sleeping routine (collocation): xây dựng một thơi gian biểu ngủ hợp lý
– take frequent breaks (vp): nghỉ giải lao thường xuyên
– prolonged attention (np): sự tập trung kéo dài
– wear sb out (phrasal v.): khiến ai đó mệt mỏi, kiệt sức
– reduce productivity (vp): giảm năng suất
– to circulate (v): tuần hoàn
– span (of sth) (n): khoảng thời gian
3. What kinds of people are sleep deprived?
I think the kinds of people that are prone to sleep deprivation are either the elderly or people who are suffering from some kinds of mental health problems. For seniors, insomnia can come from some health issues that they get when they age. Apart from that, some reports find that elderly sleep deprivation might stem from worries about getting old. Also, older people have different sleeping cycles, so their resting time may be shorter than that of younger people.
For people with mental health issues such as clinical depression, insomnia is also likely to occur. It is partly a result of the disease and partly comes from the medication that people take as a treatment, in some cases.
– prone to sth (adj.): có thiên hướng
– a mental health problem (np): vấn đề về sức khoẻ tinh thần
– insomnia (n): chứng mất ngủ
– to age (v.): lão hoá, già đi
– a sleeping cycle (n.): chu kỳ ngủ
– clinical depression (np): trầm cảm bệnh lý
– medication (n): thuốc
4. Why do people feel tired a lot nowadays?
I suppose this is a problem of modern life. People nowadays tend to lead a work-oriented life with long hours of working. This way of life can lead them to an imbalanced diet, as they don’t have enough time to cook proper meals, and sleep deprivation out of stress. Moreover, the rapid development of technology can also lead to an over-reliance-on-technology lifestyle that makes people more inactive. All of these factors can be the cause of tiredness for people these days.
– work-oriented (adj.): hướng về công việc
– way of life (np): phong cách sống
– an imbalanced diet (np): một chế độ ăn thiếu cân bằng
– a proper meal (n): một bữa ăn đầy đủ
– over-reliance-on-technology lifestyle (np): cách sống phụ thuộc quá nhiều vào công nghệ
Trên đây là bài mẫu IELTS Describe a time you were sleepy but had to stay awake và giải nghĩa chi tiết từ vựng và cấu trúc band cao. Chúc bạn học luyện thi IELTS hiệu quả với kho đề Speaking của IPP và chinh phục được điểm số thật cao trong phòng thi thực chiến nhé!